Saturday, January 28, 2012

I have a mouse house!

We have started learning arabic....

I don't think I have ever been so confused in my entire life! Languages are generally difficult, but at least if you learn French or German, you at least understand the alphabet and can soon out the words.

Learning a new alphabet is tough. We have just finished learning the alphabet (it took about 10 hours - not kidding), and I still am not entirely sure I know what they all mean.

Not only is the alphabet itself tough, but in order for arabic to look at beautiful as it does, the letters take on different shapes depending on where they come in the word, whether that's the beginning, middle or end. So I might be able to recognise the majority of the 28 letters of the alphabet, but I'm still struggling to read arabic, as we are only just beginning to learn how they are written in the real world.

Although I can now say "I have a mouse house" and "I have a beautiful camel" - which incidentally, if you are interested sounds like "In Di Fah-er Daaar" and "In Di Jamel Jameel". I can't work out how to write in arabic on the blog, or i'd be all fancy and type it out!

Next lesson we are going to have a test, which I am pretty scared about. We have to write all the letters of the alphabet and then write two words for each letter of the alphabet, in arabic... hmmm looks like I have a lot of work to do before then!

We are also in the middle of unpacking as our shipping has finally arrived. I had no idea we had this much stuff, or that it originally fitted into a one bedroomed flat. The house still looks like a bomb has hit it!

Just in case you wanted to see what we were up against, here is the arabic alphabet:

No comments:

Post a Comment